Fight This Generation: A Conversation with Bob Nastanovich of Pavement

Quite simply, Pavement were probably the number one indie rock act of the decade. Loose, off the wall, both physically and lyrically, they were the manifestation of every college boy in the eighties who loved the Smiths and the Replacements. Growing more disenfranchised and confrontational towards the end of their run, the music took on a different tone but was still great. Reunions have helped keep the music alive and I like to think that when someone in fifty years asks about ‘90s indie rock, Pavement will be the first band that people talk about. This interview with Bob was brief but he did manage to address all the major milestones of the band’s storied career.

Pavement Discography:

Slanted & Enchanted (Matador, 1992)

Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (Matador, 1994)

Wowee Zowee (Matador, 1995)

Brighten the Corners (Matador, 1997)

Terror Twilight (Matador, 1999)

Popular Tracks: Cut Your Hair, Stereo, Summer Babe, Major Leagues, Rattled by the Rush, Range Life, Shady Lane, Spit on a Stranger

Pete Crigler: When did you become interested in playing music?

Bob Nastanovich: Around 1986 or 1987. I was never interested in practicing music. I just wanted to make noise.

Pete: How did you end up joining Pavement and what was it like during the time of Slanted?

Bob: I was supposed to the first Pavement roadie in the Summer of 1990. Stephen Malkmus asked me to acquire a couple of drums to ensure that time was being kept during songs.

Pete: Tell me about how you approached performances of Conduit for Sale.

Bob: I'd get excited. Nervous excitement. I looked at it as an opportunity to raise the energy level of the performance.

Pete: How would you describe your role in the band?

Bob: Percussion and screaming.

Pete: What was the transition like from Gary to Steve?

Bob: It wasn’t smooth. I assumed it was over for me unless Steve West got the gig. Gary was a huge part of Pavement and Westy, via his big stamp on Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, filled those little grey dock moccasins well.

Pete: What was it like recording Crooked Rain?

Bob: Disjointed. Pieced together. Loads of starts and stops in the process. NYC album.

Pete: What was success like and how did everyone react to it?

Bob: It was good fun. We were so fortunate. We worked with and played with so many great people. I can only speak for myself when I tell you that with heightened expectations made me nervous.

Pete: What was the overall inspiration for songs like Stereo, Major Leagues, Summer Babe and Cut Your Hair?

Bob: An interest in making catchy Pavement songs.

Pete: Tell me about the formation of Silver Jews.

Bob: David, Stephen and myself lived together in two different apartments in Jersey City first, then Hoboken. When there was nothing to do out on the town, we'd try to make up songs and record them into a thrift store tape recorder.

Pete: What was the experience like playing Lollapalooza?

Bob: Silly. I felt like we didn't belong and was worried about embarrassing ourselves.

Pete: Was there any pressure when it came to making Brighten the Corners or Terror Twilight?

Bob: Not really. As far as Brighten the Corners goes, that was collaborative and we knew many of the songs before the session started. Terror Twilight was heavy on the Stephen tip which was fine by me. I had no complaints and was happy to be both in Kernersville (BTC) and NYC (TT).

Pete: What ultimately caused the band to breakup?

Bob: Stephen decided he wanted to do something else.

Pete: Was it difficult participating and watching Slow Century?

Bob: No. It's fun. Lance and Silver Dan were great to have around and did a fine job.

Pete: Tell me a bit about what you’re doing now.

Bob: I work a bunch of jobs at a horse race track outside of Des Moines called Prairie Meadows. I do a lot of vinyl DJ sets under the moniker, DJ Need A Stack. I do music podcast called 3songspod (www.soundcloud.com/3songspod) with my friend Mike Hogan. We've done over 60 episodes. I put out two cool 7" records on my little record label Brokers Tip last year. One is by Schwervon!, one is by Odd Pets. Both bands are two piece bands that I love.

Pete: What was the reunion tour like and do you hope there will be another one?

Bob: The reunion tour went well. We played long sets by our standards and only a few were crap performances. I always look forward to doing Pavement gigs.

Pete: Where do you think Pavement’s place is in the annals of indie rock?

Bob: Well-liked, well-treated and influential '90s band.

Pete: Do you still keep in touch with everyone?

Bob: Yes, in varying degrees and platforms.

Pete: What do you think about the impact of alternative rock in the ‘90s?

Bob:  It's significant for the kids and young adults making up songs these days.

Pete: What do you ultimately hope Pavement’s legacy will be?

Bob: About what it is now almost 20 years after our bubble burst.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wondertruck Crashed: The Tale of Mary's Danish and David King

Don't Let 'em Kill the Cowboy: A Chat with Mark Christian of The Big F

No Woods: A Chat with Stompbox