Down in the Shacks with the Judybats: A Brief Conversation with Margaret ‘Peg’ Hambright

In 2008, I had just begun my role as a music journalist. Thanks to a keen editor at the now defunct punkbands.com, I started reviewing records before I’d even graduated from college. By the time I had graduated, I was already interviewing several musicians, in order to get my feet wet for the book I wanted to write. Amongst the first, the guinea pigs, if you will was Peg Hambright, former keyboardist of the Judybats, one of my all-time favorite bands. Since this interview, she has turned over ownership of her bakery and still plays music from time to time and still keeps in touch with the other members of the band. The interview was brief for two reasons: she wasn’t in the band very long and I was still figuring myself out as an interviewer. I learned a few things that contradicted things that had been printed online. Please enjoy.

Judybats | Discography | Discogs

Pete: How did you end up joining the band and were you friends with some of them before you joined?

Hambright: I was roommates with Tim and Johnny, and I met them through mutual friends at UT. Terry was their friend but was still living in Cleveland, TN at the time. Jeff and Ed were roommates, and lived in a house across the street. Tim met Ed and started talking, then we all got together.

Pete: How was Jeff Heiskell, because I read in an interview that in high school he was basically a "walking suicide" and that he went through a long-term depression. Did that ever come through when the band was working?

Hambright: He was young, as we all were, and trying to figure out who he was. He was (and is) extremely funny and smart, and can be a joy to be around. But he was moody, and sometimes a huge asshole. He played the part of lead singer very well. I think he's more comfortable in his skin today than he was when I was touring with them. I’m not sure what he was like after that. I was out of touch with him for several years after I left.

Pete: What happened to Terry; he was such a strong drummer and I feel that the band suffered, at least percussion wise when he left?

Hambright: We parted ways in the middle of recording Shacks. He was not an easy person to get along with, had a very negative energy let's say, and it was a band decision to move on without him. While he was creative and could be good, he was not a terribly consistent drummer, and if there's one thing you need in a drummer....

                                            The Judy Bats Press Kit & Photo Down In Shacks Where Satellite Dishes Judybats

Pete: My question about your departure deals with hearing about how a product manager at Sire had told you to lose weight, I was just wondering if that was true.

Hambright: That is kind of hilarious. If they wanted me to lose weight, (which they may have!) nobody ever said anything to me. I really enjoyed parts of the experience and it was a great opportunity in many ways, but the lifestyle didn't really jive with me at that time. It was really difficult for people to understand why I would leave voluntarily, because a lot of people would have killed to have that opportunity, but it just wasn't for me. I was sick of riding on a bus with a bunch of smoking, stinky boys and having no control over my life, and I wanted to be home with my people, you know? I am a background person, and don't (and never did) crave that sort of attention. In fact, it made me really uncomfortable. I have played music since I was in the first grade, but never really knew what an alternative band was until I met Tim and Johnny, so I wasn't really aspiring to be in a band, and had never done anything like it. So when we magically got "signed" I had no idea what we were in for. Isn't it weird how things happen?

Pete: Did you feel it was time to leave and do you still keep in touch with anyone from the band?

Hambright: I am still in touch with Jeff, Johnny and Tim. Ed and I have exchanged emails a little, but he ended up in California I believe, and we have not stayed in touch consistently. I was ready to move on, and have no hard feelings with anyone in the band.

                                                        

Pete: Finally, how did you make the transition to baking. Has it been more fulfilling than music and how long have you been doing it?

Hambright: I went back to school to finish my graphic design degree, but found I wasn't interested in that anymore. I had been away from it for 3 years or so. I started working in a local restaurant, and started making the desserts there. Next thing I knew, I had a bakery. I've been at it for 15 years in some capacity or another. I was looking to work for myself, but I had several things I was interested in. Baking was the one that stuck. As far as fulfilling goes, it's all a process. I like to think I've taken something from every job and relationship I've had. you know, I don't want to do this forever, but as long as I'm learning and enjoying it, it's good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wondertruck Crashed: The Tale of Mary's Danish and David King

Don't Let 'em Kill the Cowboy: A Chat with Mark Christian of The Big F

No Woods: A Chat with Stompbox